Sunday, July 22, 2007

Emu Egg Clock.




Sunday today, and it's been very busy. This afternoon was especially interesting, as I had to go to a wonderful little Historic Town by the name of Mintaro, just 19 kms from where I live, and every time I go there, I see something else I haven't seen before. It is only a very small town, but well spread out, and the entire town is officially a National Trust Historic Township. There are some of the most wonderful old Buidings in this little town that you could ever wish to see. Mintaro also boasts the beautiful Martindale Hall -- a two-storey Mansion that was moved from England to Mintaro in the late 1800s -- every single stone and every single part of the indoors of the building. It was re-built again in Mintaro, just as it had been in England. The Movie "Picnic at Hanging Rock" was partly filmed in this beautiful building -- all of the inside scenes were filmed here, with the girls in the film running up and down the magnificent staircase etc.
Today I took a little drive around the town and took some new photos, which I hope to use in my painting and penwork in coming months -- all buildings except for one exception. Right by the side of the road in a paddock in the centre of the town was a colony of Kangaroos. Three of them were close enough to photograph, and thankfully they were so quiet that they just sat up and looked at me. One was a great Big Red -- a real boomer, and so beautiful. One was a smaller grey, and the other one was a partly grown grey. What a great little drive it was, with so much to take in, and some new ammo for my art.

Today I'm adding some photos of a Clock I made using an Emu Egg. I cut two doors at the front with a dentist's diamond drill in a B&D Drill, in which is set the clock front. I cut one large door at the back to fit the clock batteries and for easy access to change them. Incidentally the doors are all hinged so they will open and shut quite easily. It was a lot of intricate work, but I have always loved "fiddly" work.

One photo shows the front of the Clock with the doors closed, one shows the front with the doors open, and one shows the back of the clock with the door shut (where the batteries are housed). The Clock Movement is German, and keeps perfect time.

No comments: